Lecturer in Contemporary Art Practice, Gray’s School of Art, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen (UK)
»Photography is a constant source of pleasure, edification, frustration, wonder and surprise. It is also widely misunderstood and mischaracterised.«
»The importance of photography today is inestimable. We could survive without it, of course, but our way of life would be impossible in its absence.«
- 1988 BA (Hons) Fine Art Photography, Glasgow School of Art
- 1990 MA Fine Art, Glasgow School of Art
- 2010 PGDip HE in Teaching and Learning, RGU
- 2005-2012 Chairman and Co-Director of Ideas in Public Space Ltd (Jim Hamlyn, Jim Buckley and Ivan Drummond).
Steering Committee member of PVA MediaLab, UK
- 2004-2013 Subject Leader for Photographic and Electronic Media BA (Hons), Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen
- 2000 – Part-Time Tutor in Fine Art/Photography, Glasgow School of Art
Part-Time and Guest lecturing at various institutions including Joensuu Polytechnic, Finland; Tampere School of Art and Media, Finland and Wimbledon School of Art, London.
Research Interests / Professional Background
Fine Art, Photographic and Electronic Media, pedagogy and pedagogic theory.
Additional Information / Media work / Funding
Artist in Residence, Sydney College of Art, Sydney Australia, August 2011.
Jim Hamlyn has exhibited nationally and internationally in such countries as Egypt, Finland, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and the USA. His work uses an interdisciplinary approach which incorporates a wide range of media from public sculpture and installation to interactive media and the moving image.
In 2004 he set up the BA (Hons) Course in Photographic and Electronic Media at Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen which he now leads. Since 2001, Jim has also been a part-time lecturer in the Fine Art Photography department at Glasgow School of Art.
Related Public Output
- 2013: “Smashing” Benyamini Centre for Ceramics, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2011: “Atelier Public” GOMA, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2010: “Kunstlersichten” Staatliches Museum, Schwerin, Germany
- 2009: “14n32w”, http://www.14n32w.co.cc/ Online
“Seven Short Sails”, http://studiolog.heriot-toun.co.uk/ Online
- 2006 “International Biennale of the Artists Book”, Alexandria Egypt
Publications and Conference presentations
- 2016: “Networks of Attribution: The Cultural Origins of Meaning” published in the International Journal of Social, Political and Community Agendas in the Arts: http://artsinsociety.com
“How Images Actually Work” published in the International Journal of the Image: http://ijx.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.202/prod.264
- 2015: “How Images Actually Work”, University of California, Berkeley, USA
“Networks of Attribution: The Cultural Origins of Meaning, Imperial College, London
“Ambient Interaction – Interactivity as a creative medium” 7000 word article for the journal: Digital Creativity (http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ndcr20/current) co authored with Jiun-Jhy Her, Assistant Professor at the Department of Digital Multimedia Arts, Shih Hsin University, Taiwan.
- 2013: “Art Crits 20 Questions A Pocket Guide.” ISBN 978-0-9564355-2-1 http://q-art.org.uk/portfolio/art-crits-20-questions/ This publication was published by Q-Art London http://q-art.org.uk